Bee Friendly Food Alliance
The Bee Friendly Food Alliance is a network of chefs, restaurants, and others in the food industry coming together save the bees. With so much at stake, chefs and restaurant owners are doing their part and making their voices heard by the public and decision-makers.
Why do we need to save the bees?
Millions of bees are dying off across the country with alarming consequences for the environment and our food supply. While a number of factors are contributing to the bee die-off, a key one is the increased use of a class of bee-killing pesticides called neonicotinoids, or neonics.
Numerous independent studies, including a 2016 EPA study, confirm neonics are harmful to bees. Neonic use has increased dramatically over the past decade. For example, neonicotinoid pesticide use on corn has increased from 30% to nearly 80% since 2000.
Without bees, major sources of food, including a wide assortment of fruits and vegetables and even coffee and chocolate, would be lost. In addition, because bees pollinate alfalfa eaten by dairy cows -- many of our milk products could be lost.
And without bees, we would lose honey. In 2014, honey production from beekeepers who kept five or more colonies totaled 178 million pounds –- that’s a lot of honey! It’s hard to understate the impact on the restaurant industry if we don’t save the bees.
What does the Bee Friendly Food Alliance do?
The alliance keeps chefs, restaurant owners, and others in the food industry updated on the problems facing bees. It also provides opportunities to take action and educate customers about bees. Earlier this year, 235 chefs and restaurateurs sent a letter calling on the EPA to ban bee-killing pesticides.
Another way to get involved is to put the Bee Friendly Food Alliance logo in your restaurant's window or on the menu to show support for protecting bees.
We're working to save the bees
We’re educating and engaging tens of thousands of Americans through our No Bees, No Food campaign. Take a look at our work here.
Are you interested in learning more about becoming a member of the Bee Friendly Food Alliance?
- Chris Crary, Executive Chef, Hyde Sunset Kitchen + Cocktails, Los Angeles, CA
- David Plonowski, Chef De Cuisine, Cleo, Los Angeles, CA
- Arthur Kanai, Assistant General Manager, Cleo, Los Angeles, CA
- Travis Gochnour, Manager, The Library in the Redbury Hotel, Los Angeles, CA
- Stephanie Bonin, Owner, duo Restaurant Denver, Denver, CO
- Vicky Bittner, Owner, Taste, CO
- Matt Heimbaurer, Corporate Executive Chef, Mindful Restaurant Group, Washington, DC
- Dan Hlusak, Corporate Sous Chef, Mindful Restaurant Group, Washington, DC
- Andrew Markert, Chef, Beuchert's Saloon, Washington, DC
- Amanda Keyes, Owner, Community Cafe, Saint Petersburg, FL
- Andy Salyards, Owner, Urban Brew and BBQ, Saint Petersburg, FL
- Tim Muellemann, General Manager, Sopraffina Marketcaffe - 222 W. Adams, Chicago, IL
- Peter Sexton, General Manager, Sopraffina Marketcaffe -10 N. Dearborn St., Chicago, IL
- Helen Cameron, Co-owner, Uncommon Ground, Chicago, IL
- Greg Moeller, Chef, Poag Mahone’s, Chicago, IL
- Dan Smith, Owner/Chef, John Andrews Restaurant, MA
- Dave Jick, Owner, Dave's Fresh Pasta, MA
- Donna Choih, Cook, Life Alive, Cambridge, MA
- Cee Byrd, Oath Craft Pizza, MA
- Gwen Koch, Regional Manager, Sofra Bakery, Cambridge, MA
- Atlantic Brewing, ME
- Black Bear Brewing, ME
- Bray's Brewing, ME
- Penobscot Bay Brewery, ME
- Local Sprouts, ME
- Damon Hoffman, Manager, Amers Deli, Ann Arbor, MI
- Chris Sorenson, General Manager, Bar Louie, Ann Arbor, MI
- Jerome Farris, General Manager, Hunter House Hamburgers, Ann Arbor, MI
- Dominic Telemaco, Manager, New York Pizza Depot, Ann Arbor, MI
- Salim Baydoun, Owner, Pita Kabob Grill, Ann Arbor, MI
- Alexander Joustra, Owner, The Baxter Bar and Arcade, Chapel Hill, NC
- Ron Biton, Owner/Chef, Veganized, New Brunswick, NJ
- Richard Winters, Owner/Chef, Farina Pizzeria, Albuquerque, NM
- Jim Mecca, Owner, Bosque Baking Co., Albuquerque, NM
- Panos Marmaras El Patron, General Manager, El Patron, Albuquerque, NM
- Petra Kelly, Manager, La Waffleria, Albuquerque, NM
- Irene Leyba, Manager, Padillas Mexican Kitchen, Albuquerque, NM
- Jeff Rubin, Owner, Savory Fare, Albuquerque, NM
- Andrew Tarlow, Owner, Marlow, Inc., Brooklyn, NY
- Michael Guerrieri, Owner/Chef, City Sandwich, New York, NY
- Suzanne Scherr, Chef and Cookbook Author, Chappaqua, NY
- Reyes Hernandez, Executive Chef, Red Hat on the River, Irvington, NY
- Laurel Vorhies, Manager, FIKA, New York, NY
- Greg Markman, Partner, Heights Café, Brooklyn, NY
- Peter Chansky, Manager, Upright Brew, New York, NY
- Naji Boustany, Operations Director and Executive Chef, Manousheh, New York, NY
- Bertha Arenas, Owner, Samba Kitchen and Bar, New York, NY
- Leslie Polizzotto, Owner, The Doughnut Project, New York, NY
- Gretta Ramirez, Owner, The Original Sandwich Shoppe, New York, NY
- Kevin Hermann, Executive Chef, The Porch at Schenley, Pittsburgh, PA
- Milan Dhir Sandhu, Mon Amis, Kennett Square, PA
- Katie Brennan and Shannon Clark, TerraCafe, Easton, PA
- George Schenk, Founder and CEO, American Flatbread at Lareau Farm, Waitsfield, VT
- Jeffrey Larkin, President, Arvads Grill, Waterbury, VT
- Stephanie Bonin, Owner, duo Restaurant Vermont, Brattleboro, VT
- Stephanie Bonin, Owner, The Lounge, Brattleboro, VT
- Laura Kloeti, Owner, Michael's on the Hill, Waterbury Center, VT
- Laura Kloeti, Owner, Idletyme Brewing Company, Stowe, VT
- Jessica Wright, Owner, Hender's Bake Shop & Café, Waterbury, VT
- Sara Nelson, Co-founder, Fremont Brewery, Seattle, WA
- Samuel Stubbins, Assistant General Manager, Iron Rabbit, Olympia, WA
- Lauren Spicer, Baker, Kings Solomon's Reef, Olympia, WA
- Topher Farrell, Co-Owner, Tease Chocolates, Tacoma, WA
- Trevor Harkness, Kitchen Manager, Ian's Pizza on State, Madison, WI
- Mark Paradise, Owner, Sunroom Café, Madison, WI