We know we can have healthier communities right now and a livable future for kids growing up today. But to get there, we must transform the way we produce and consume energy. That’s got to start with a commitment to 100 percent clean, renewable energy.
Many of us have worked hard to make energy efficiency and renewable energy the go-to energy options for the nation and the world. We won’t get to an economy powered entirely by renewable energy without putting it firmly in the mainstream. According to a new study from the Deloitte Center for Energy Solutions, we’ve arrived!
“Alternative energy’s shift to the mainstream is largely complete and likely irreversible…In the case of wind and solar power, growth is regularly outpacing projections” - Deloitte Center for Energy Solutions, “Trends to watch in alternative Energy”
The report highlights eight important trends that are contributing to the rise of renewable energy such as solar and wind power.
- Renewable acquisition activity building momentum
- Community solar expands solar energy market
- Improved grid integration allows for more renewable energy
- Renewable energy increases grid resiliency
- Clean Power Plan supports growth of renewable energy
- Increased state regulatory reform supporting renewable energy
- Corporations are committing to 100 percent renewable energy and favoring renewable investment
- Renewable energy organizations are focused on finding and training a new workforce for the renewable energy economy
We still have a ton of work to do to accelerate progress. But, trends like these, validated by mainstream institutions like Deloitte, should provide hope those of us who’ve felt like we’ve been fighting an uphill battle.
Stay tuned for more evidence that a goal of 100% renewable energy is as feasible as it is necessary.