Environment Colorado is seeking an entry-level campaign associate to help lead our Zero Waste campaign efforts.
We live in an economy that encourages us to buy, use, and throw away things at the greatest speed possible. But when it comes to waste like plastics, there is no “away.” Single-use plastics like cups, bags, and styrofoam take out containers that we use for only a few minutes will last in our environment for hundreds of years. This waste is filling our landfills, polluting our natural spaces and waterways, and even harming human health.
Our Zero Waste campaign aims to move Colorado beyond plastics, starting by eliminating the worst types like single use plastic packaging.
We are seeking a Campaign Associate who will spearhead our grassroots efforts to educate the public, gain media attention for the issue, garner public support, lobby elected officials, and make real changes to move Colorado towards a future with zero waste. The associate will work with our experienced team of advocates, researchers, and digital and communications experts.
Entry-level candidates are encouraged to apply; we provide training on advocacy and organizing skills, as well as oversight and on-the-ground training by an experienced advocate. Ideal candidates will have leadership experience, top-notch written and verbal skills, an eagerness to learn, and be ready for a challenge. We value organizing experience, including building campus or community groups.
- Build powerful coalitions: Reach out to a broad range of organizations across the political spectrum to demonstrate support for our campaign goals.
- Earn traditional media and social media attention: Organize news conferences and write opinion pieces. Build a following on Facebook and Twitter for your campaign.
- Lobby elected officials: Coordinate strategy with champions on a local, state and national level. Make a convincing case to legislators who are undecided on a particular vote. When a critical vote is happening on your campaign, work to demonstrate the support you’ve been building on the ground to help line up the votes needed to win.
- Research and write persuasive campaign materials: Catalog and analyze data relevant to the issue and our policy proposals to help influence public debate and earn media attention for our cause.
- Identify and cultivate donors: Reach out to foundations and major donors and ask them to fund your campaign.
- Recruit new people to your team: Help build your team recruiting volunteers, interns and full-time staff.
- Run a grassroots campaign office each summer: Run a campaign office for the summer to raise money to support our campaigns, build our organization and membership, and help build critical and timely grassroots support to win key campaigns while honing your organizing and management skills.
Compensation & Benefits
The target annual compensation for this position is $33,000-$34,000 in the first year. Environment Colorado offers an excellent benefits package. Our benefits package may include medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and dependents, needs-based student loan assistance, 401(k) plan with employer match, commuter benefit program, paid time off, parental leave and long-term disability insurance. We also offer an excellent training program and opportunities for advancement.
Things To Know When You Apply
Environment Colorado is part of The Public Interest Network, which operates and supports organizations committed to a shared vision of a better world and a strategic approach to social change. Click here for things you should know about our network when you apply.
Environment Colorado is an equal opportunity employer
COVID-19: We take COVID-19 safety very seriously. Employees must follow our COVID safety protocols and be fully vaccinated and boostered. Accommodations are provided to the extent required by law.