Recycling your used CFL light bulbs is the smartest, most responsible, and most environmentally sound method of CFL disposal. Options available to Colorado residents for recycling CFLs include the following:
- Xcel Energy has partnered with Ace Hardware to collect used CFLs. Bins are in place behind the counters of the 104 Colorado Ace Hardware stores so residents can recycle their used CFLs
- The Home Depot announced the launch of its national CFL bulb recycling program. This program is available at all 1,973 The Home Depot store locations nationwide. To find the Home Depot store nearest to you, click here.
- Denver residents can dispose of their CFLs and fluorescent tubes with their free Household Hazardous Waste collection. According to the city’s website, “Residents should note that in order to make the most effective use of the City’s HHW collection budget, you must have a minimum of three different materials before calling for a pickup. Eligible residents may simply call the Curbside, Inc. toll-free hotline at 1-800-HHW-PKUP (1-800-449-7587) to make a collection appointment.” For more information see the website.
Countless other locations exist statewide for CFL recycling — merchants, municipalities, disposal centers, and more. To find the location nearest you, visit earth911.org and follow the following easy instructions:
- type “CFL” into the first prompt at the top of the page
- type your zip code into the second prompt at the top of the page
- click “go” for a list of nearby CFL recycling centers
And for even more information on CFL recycling programs in your area, consult the U.S. EPA’s bulb recycling program page.