Nothing else matters if we don’t have a healthy planet, but you wouldn’t always know it from our actions. We’re polluting our oceans with plastic, cutting down ancient forests for toilet paper, and continuing to burn fossil fuels that worsen climate change.
These problems are solvable. We’re surrounded by clean, renewable energy from the sun and wind–more than enough to power America dozens of times over. And American presidents–Democrats and Republicans–have acted many times to protect our great outdoors. It’s one of the best examples of putting aside party differences and looking ahead to our collective future.
Environment America is hiring a Federal Legislative Advocate to run campaigns to protect our oceans, forests and public lands, save bees and other pollinators, and defend core environmental protections including the National Environmental Policy Act, the Clean Air Act and the Clean Water Act. We’re a national network of 30 state environmental groups with one mission–to transform our ideas and imagination into change that makes the world a greener, healthier place for all.
If you are:
Up for a challenge. You have a bold vision of a greener world, but you know that lasting progress–especially in gridlocked Washington, D.C.–often comes one challenging step at a time, with compromises along the way. You’re ready to work hard to achieve your goals, whether that means hours of calling activists or monitoring middle-of-the-night Senate votes.
Ready to build a movement. The progress we’re seeking can’t be won in a single policy or election. You’re eager to recruit more supporters, especially those who don’t already agree with us. You’re excited to meet with Democrats, Republicans, business leaders, anyone who wants to protect the environment, even if we only find common ground on one of the many pressing problems we need to solve.
Organized and strategic. You make plans for long-term success. You can balance multiple competing goals and policy priorities.
Then we hope you’ll apply to join our team.
Represent Environment America and advance our strategy on environmental protection at the federal level. This position requires excellent judgment and discretion and the ability to oversee significant projects. Other responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Coalition building: Serve as the Environment America voice in coalitions, and drive efforts to build and expand our partners.
- Fundraising: Build our program through raising more money from foundations and individual donors. This will include the cultivation of current donors as well as expanding our donor base to include new national, state and local funders. Working with our national grants team and large donor program, you’ll raise money to increase our reach and grow our federal program.
- Media and communications: Write reports, fact sheets, news releases, blogs, op-eds, and other forms of communication to get our message in the media and heard by decision-makers and the public. Represent Environment America with reporters.
- Campaign coordination and development: Develop and drive implementation of campaign strategy and tactics. Work directly with our state and national leadership.
- Staff recruitment and management: Participate in the recruitment and management of both interns and staff. Work closely with our Training Center to attend and lead trainings for staff at all levels.
- Are an experienced communicator with excellent writing and verbal communication skills.
- Have at least three years of experience in grassroots organizing, coalition building, campaign politics and/or advocacy.
- Are creative, strategic and effective at solving complex problems.
- Are a good people-person and listener with a track record of successful access-building and a solid team player
- Have the passion and grit to build a movement and do what it takes to get the work done.
Target annual compensation for this position is $36,000-$60,000 and depends on relevant experience and/or education. Candidates on the low end of directly relevant experience should expect to be on the lower end of this range; candidates on the higher end of relevant experience are likely to be on the higher end of this range. Environment America offers an excellent benefits package. Our benefits package may include medical, dental and vision insurance for employees and dependents, needs-based student loan assistance, 401(k) plan with employer match, commuter benefit program, paid time off, parental leave and long-term disability insurance. We also offer an excellent training program and opportunities for advancement.
Things to Know When You Apply
Why work for Environment America? Here are ten reasons: https://environmentamerica.org/why-work-with-us/
Environment America is part of The Public Interest Network, which operates and supports organizations committed to a shared vision of a better world and a strategic approach to social change. Visit https://publicinterestnetwork.org/core-values/ to learn more.
Environment America is an equal opportunity employer.
COVID-19: We take COVID-19 safety very seriously. Employees must follow our COVID safety protocols and be fully vaccinated and boosted. Accommodations are provided to the extent required by law.