The Public Interest Network’s Creative Team seeks a content associate. Our team helps our network win the country over to a forward-looking agenda by messaging, packaging and amplifying our organizations, our campaigns and our staff. This position requires exercising discretion and independent judgment in making decisions in matters of significance. We are looking for a smart, inspired and detail-oriented candidate to join our team and tell and amplify the stories of PIRG, Environment America and other groups in our network, through web content, email alerts, newsletters, annual reports and more.
Some of the things you will do
- Connect: Work with the PIRG and Environment America state directors and program teams, learn our issues and campaigns, and keep on top of our action, progress and results.
- Tell stories: Write (and rewrite, and rewrite again), edit and proofread stories that capture attention and motivate, excite, persuade and enlighten.
- Amplify and expand stories: Amplify your stories on social media. Expand their meaning and impact through blogs. Adapt them for email alerts and fundraisers, campaign content, direct mail appeals, newsletters, annual reports and more.
- Get and stay organized: Come up with a plan that puts you in a position to deliver what we’ve promised. Make the best use of your time and keep track of your progress. Organize the team of people you need to take your work from concept to completion.
- Get training and direction: Practice and perfect your craft. Learn new skills. Get direction up front, editorial feedback throughout, and an evaluation at completion. Keep getting better at what you do.
Why you’ll be great for it
- You’re a strong writer who has written not only academic papers but also news articles, opinion columns, blogs, campaign content and/or fundraising appeals.
- You’re a clear thinker (usually a prerequisite for being a strong writer) who can quickly get your head around an issue, sniff out a good story, give it structure, stay on-message, and plan your way from Point A to Point Z.
- You’re a voracious consumer of news and political content. You not only know what our network is doing, but you understand the context because you’re on top of the news on our issues, politics and the players, including other advocates and activists.
- You’re a student of communication. You understand how to tell stories differently in a tweet versus a 7-minute long-read, and how to make text and visuals work synergistically.
- You’re creative, dynamic and ambitious. You’re a firehose of new ideas. You can think your way around problems. You adapt well to changing circumstances and new developments. You want to achieve more today than you did yesterday.
- You’re driven to change the world. The planet needs saving, and you’re ready to help save it. You believe we can organize our lives to be healthier, safer and less wasteful, and you’re ready to do your part to make it happen. You’re looking for a calling, not just a job.
These skills aren’t required, but they sure come in handy.
- Design stuff: Do you know Canva? Adobe Creative Suite?
- Data stuff: Can you explain statistical significance and medians v. averages? Are you able to turn raw data into a chart that looks cool and communicates something meaningful? Are you a Google Sheets wizard?
- Creative stuff: Are you a good photographer, illustrator, or videographer?
About The Public Interest Network
The Public Interest Network includes more than a dozen nonprofit advocacy groups, all working for a greener, healthier country. Through PIRG, Environment America, Green Corps and other groups, we’re running campaigns to:
- transition our country to clean, renewable energy,
- transform our transportation systems to make them cleaner and better for us; and
- steer food production away from the destructive overuse of pesticides and antibiotics.
Through all of our campaigns, we’re challenging our country to stop tolerating problems that make no sense in today’s world of incredible technology and abundance. And we’re using research, advocacy and organizing to make a positive difference right now in people’s lives.
If our approach sounds right to you, apply today.
Boston, MA. Currently working remotely with the option to work in person.
Compensation & benefits
We’re a nonprofit that gets the most bang for the buck for our donors. Target annual compensation for this position is $31,000-$34,000 and is based on the relevant professional experience and/or advanced degree that a candidate has. The Public Interest Network offers a competitive benefits package. We also offer an excellent training program and opportunities for more responsibility.
Things To Know When You Apply
The Public Interest Network operates and supports organizations committed to a shared vision of a better world and a strategic approach to social change. Click here for things you should know about our network when you apply.
Fund for the Public Interest is an equal opportunity employer.
COVID-19: We take COVID-19 safety very seriously. Employees must follow our COVID safety protocols and be fully vaccinated and boostered. Accommodations are provided to the extent required by law.