The Public Interest Network seeks an Office Manager to join our team in Boston, MA.
The Public Interest Network includes organizations committed to a shared vision of a better world and a strategic approach to social change. With more than a dozen organizations — Environment America, PIRG, the National Environmental Law Center, Green Corps and more — we’re winning positive social change for the environment and the public interest.
We focus on the problems that arise from America’s single-minded pursuit of endless economic growth. We’re still burning fossil fuels, even though it’s harming the climate. We keep giving antibiotics to healthy livestock, even though it’s causing antibiotic-resistant “superbugs.” We use plastic products for just a few minutes only to throw them away, where they pollute the ocean for centuries.
Our Boston office houses over a dozen organizations which have won campaigns in Massachusetts and across the country, such as getting the lead out of school drinking water, improving Boston’s public transportation system, and banning ‘neonics’ that poison the bee population. As the Office Manager, you’ll oversee office operations to help ensure the effectiveness of these organizations and enable the success of The Public Interest Network as a whole. This position requires exercising discretion and independent judgment and overseeing significant projects.
- Managing the everyday functions of the office including maintenance and oversight of supplies, furniture, machinery, and all office spaces. Serve as the liaison and representative of our network to building management.
- Overseeing the Boston office’s budget, tracking expenses and income, requisitioning expenses, and proposing a budget that meets the needs of the organization’s objectives and principles.
- Managing an office where 60 staff and network visitors work, maintaining phone and internet systems, ordering supplies, maintaining and improving organizational systems, ensuring security protocols, and proposing and managing contracts with vendors. The office manager also coordinates with a team of administrators representing each of the organizations housed in the office, working to complete projects and ensure a smooth-running office.
- Coordinating meetings, socials, and cleaning projects for staff, in order to build community and sense of ownership in the office.
- Additionally, the office manager will spend half their time working directly with one of our internal departments such as recruitment, legal, financial or digital on special projects and campaigns.
Entry-level candidates are encouraged to apply. We are looking for candidates who are eager to join a team, work collaboratively and would bring their best to work everyday including:
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills
- Excellent problem solving and critical thinking skills
- A positive attitude and the ability to work effectively with all different types of people
- Comfort in maintaining technical systems
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
The ideal candidate is passionate about political change, the issues we work on, and about learning how a non-profit operates.
Boston, MA. For the time being, most of our staff are working remotely with the option to work in the office due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. For the Office Manager position, some in-office work will be required now, and ultimately this is an in-office position.
PAY AND BENEFITS
The target annual compensation for this position is $31,000 – $33,500 in the first year. The Public Interest Network offers a competitive benefits package. We also offer an excellent training program and opportunities for advancement.
THINGS TO KNOW BEFORE YOU APPLY
The Public Interest Network operates and supports organizations committed to a shared vision of a better world and a strategic approach to social change. Click here for things you should know about our network before you apply: https://publicinterestnetwork.org/core-values/.
Fund for the Public Interest is an equal opportunity employer.
COVID-19: We take COVID-19 safety very seriously. Employees must follow our COVID safety protocols and be fully vaccinated and boosted. Accommodations are provided to the extent required by law.