PennEnvironment is looking for a skilled and savvy organizer to build grassroots support for our clean water and conservation campaigns and preserve Pennsylvania’s incredible natural heritage. This includes PennEnvironment’s campaigns to preserve our parks, forests, and public lands, and our efforts to protect and restore Pennsylvania’s incredible rivers, lakes and streams from major sources of pollution.
PennEnvironment is a statewide, citizen based non-profit environmental advocacy organization. We believe there’s something special about Pennsylvania—something worth protecting and preserving for future generations. Yet the places we love and the environmental values so many of us share are too often threatened by powerful polluters, short-sighted politicians and more. Defending our environment requires independent research, tough-minded advocacy and spirited grassroots action.
The Clean Water and Conservation Associate will help defend our cornerstone conservation programs from attack at the federal and state level; work to promote and increase stewardship of our public lands and open spaces; and tackle the threats of fracking, encroaching development and illegal polluters that endanger our waterways, our wildlife, and our health.
As PennEnvironment’s Clean Water and Conservation Associate your responsibilities include:
- Build powerful coalitions: Work with environmental groups, conservation organizations, watershed groups, small business owners, farmers, public health officials and others to demonstrate support for our policy goals to preserve our environment and natural heritage.
- Recruit, cultivate and train volunteers: Recruit, develop and mobilize PennEnvironment’s members and other concerned citizens to volunteer in PennEnvironment’s water and conservation campaigns.
- Garner news coverage and work with the media: The Clean Water and Conservation Associate will organize news conferences and write opinion pieces. You’ll also work on our social media projects to build a following on Facebook and Twitter for your campaigns.
- Lobby elected officials: Coordinate strategy with legislative offices at the state and federal level. Advocate for strong clean water and conservation policies and face-to-face lobbying with elected officials and regulators. Build legislative support for our water protection and conservation policy priorities.
- Research strategies to preserve our wild places and protect our water resources: Research policies from other states, help review and draft legislation, develop public-facing educational materials.
- Run a grassroots campaign office each summer: Hire and manage a staff of 20 canvassers. Raise money, build our organization and membership, and help win one of our key campaigns.
We’re seeking applicants who are ready to commit their time, talent and passion to advocating, organizing and recruiting new leaders to protect our environment. We look for smarts, organizing experience and an eagerness to learn. We value leadership experience of all kinds, especially organizing, grassroots outreach and building campus groups. Candidates must have excellent judgment and discretion and the ability to oversee significant projects.
Compensation & Benefits
The target annual compensation for this position is $30,000 in the first year. PennEnvironment offers a competitive benefits package. We also offer an excellent training program and opportunities for advancement.
Things To Know When You Apply
PennEnvironment is part of The Public Interest Network, which operates and supports organizations committed to a shared vision of a better world and a strategic approach to social change. Click here for things you should know about our network when you apply.
PennEnvironment is an equal opportunity employer.