Parks on the ballot
Austin, Richardson, Buda and Missouri City voters to decide on parks measures on Nov. 2
Texans deeply value their parks. At both the state and local level, parks provide places to relax and recreate, especially during the COVID pandemic, when parks gave an escape from lockdowns and home offices. Local parks, in particular, served as havens for families with children or even adults who just needed to get outside. Increased demand during COVID clearly signaled the need for additional funding for our parks to ensure that Texans can continue to enjoy all the wonderful benefits they provide. This increased need is clearly reflected throughout the state by a number of local ballot initiatives seeking to fund parks. Communities across the state, including Austin, Buda, Missouri City, Richardson are hoping to expand their parks systems.
- Austin’s Proposition B would “authorize the city to trade nine acres of city-owned parkland for at least 48 acres of waterfront property that will complete the existing John Treviño Park,” according to the Austin Monitor.
- Buda’s Proposition B would allot $16 million towards park improvements with a focus on hiking trails.
– Garlic Creek Trail Phase II – $445,500
– Eastside Park Land Acquisition – $8 M
– Onion Creek Trail – $553,500
– Green Meadows Park / Stoneridge – $283,500
– City Park parking improvements – $607,500
– Garison Park Phase I – $6 M
- Missouri City’s Proposition C, which totals about $23 million, would dedicate money towards four main parks: Bicentennial Park, Freedom Tree Park, Ridgeview Park and the Sta-Mo Sports Complex. This ballot would also add and improve trails at the parks.
- Richardson‘s Proposition E would direct $7.5 million for the renovation of parks and playgrounds and to build a trail
In addition, the cities of Fort Worth and San Antonio are currently developing parks bond measures for the May 2022 election.
Guest post by Environment Texas intern Riyana Daulat, a student at the University of Texas at Austin where she studies International Relations and Asian Cultures & Languages.